Vibrant and healthy in equal measure, this simple, healthy vegetable soup can easily be made vegetarian – use veg stock and replace the chorizo and flaked almonds with roughly chopped toasted almonds tossed in salt and smoked paprika.
For the Soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet red apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 200g tenderstem broccoli, diced, including stems, or ½ head of broccoli
- 1 courgette, diced
- 220g frozen peas
- 3 handfuls of kale, finely chopped
- 500ml hot chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
For the Crumble (optional):
- 50g chorizo, crumbled into small pieces
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil, if needed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, if needed
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
For the Soup:
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan or casserole dish over medium heat. Add the apple and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and sauté for 2–4 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the courgette, peas and kale, then sauté for about 4 minutes, stirring so the peas defrost and the kale wilts.
- Pour the hot stock into the pan, cover with the lid and simmer until the apple and broccoli are soft.
- Using a stick blender, food processor or blender, blitz the contents of the pan until smooth. If you are using a food processor or blender, be careful – don’t fill it all the way to the top and be sure to place a tea towel over the top of the blender while you blitz, as hot liquids can expand and spill out.
- Taste and season with salt, if needed.
To make the Crumble:
- Fry the chorizo in a frying pan over medium heat until it is cooked through and has leached crimson oil into the pan.
- Add smoked paprika, the flaked almonds and cook until the almonds have been toasted in the oil.
- Serve the soup with the chorizo crumble and parsley scattered over the top.