- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 red and 1 yellow peppers, cored and cut into 2cm strips
- 4 tsp muscovado sugar (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs thyme, picked and chopped
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 6 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp saffron strands (optional)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Up to 250ml water
- 4 free-range eggs
- In a large, flat, pan, dry-roast the cumin on high heat for two minutes.
- Add the oil and sauté the onions for two minutes.
- Add the peppers, sugar, bay leaves, thyme, parsley and two tablespoons of coriander, and stir, cooking on a high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, saffron, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes, adding enough water to keep it the consistency of a pasta sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning as and when needed. It should be potent and flavoursome.TIP: You can prepare this mix in advance.
- Break the eggs into the pan, pouring into gaps in the mixture. Sprinkle with salt, cover and cook very gently for 10-15 minutes, until the egg just sets.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with chunky white bread.
Book complimentary discovery call