Gazpacho provides a fantastic amount of vitamin C from the variety of vegetables and is a great support for the immune system.
The vegetables and herbs provide great sources of fibre which is extremely important for your digestive system and immune health – 70% of your immune system resides in your gut afterall.
Adding chopped eggs is a great addition to this soup, adding lean protein, healthy fats and zinc which are also vital for a healthy immune system.
- 6 large ripe tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 red or yellow bell pepper
- 4 spring onions or 1/2 red onion
- 2 large cloves garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- 1 handful basil and/or parsley
- 1 jalapeno chili, stemmed (optional)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 eggs, boiled
- Top and tail the cucumber and cut into quarters, removing the seeds. Put in a blender.
- Cover the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds. Pour off water and peel away the skins. Cut into quarters, removing the seeds. Add to the blender.
- Core and cut the peppers into quarters before placing them on a tray skin side up and grilling for 1-2 minutes until skins are charred. Peel away the skins and place the peppers into the blender.
- Coarsely chop the spring onions and garlic and add to the blender with the cucumber, tomatoes and peppers.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, fresh herbs, chilli (if using) and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth or slightly chunky – either way is delicious.
- Serve into bowls, crumbling an egg onto each bowl for extra protein.