Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) can be a debilitating condition that can severely affect a person’s quality of life. Janine (a pseudonym for anonymity purposes), a patient who came to the London Clinic of Nutrition, had experienced chronic fatigue syndrome after receiving the COVID vaccine. Before vaccination, Janine had been completely healthy. After the vaccination, she found herself almost bedbound with nerve pain, fatigue, joint pain, anxiety, palpitations, and restlessness.
At the London Clinic of Nutrition, we take a functional medicine approach to healthcare, which focuses on facilitating wellness, preventing chronic disease, and treating the underlying causes of symptoms rather than just the symptoms themselves. In this article, we will explore how we helped Janine recover from her chronic fatigue syndrome using this approach.
Our Initial Consultation and Testing
Janine’s initial consultation at the London Clinic of Nutrition involved a thorough assessment of her medical history, including a detailed investigation into her current symptoms. Our functional medicine practitioner ordered several tests to uncover the root causes of her CFS symptoms. These tests included a micronutrient screen, a survey of her home for environmental toxins, an assessment for various viruses and other pathogens, including Lyme disease, and a test to evaluate her mitochondria’s functioning.
What are Mitochondria?
Mitochondria are tiny structures found in our cells that play a crucial role in producing energy for the body. They are often referred to as the “powerhouses” of the cell because they generate the majority of the energy that our cells need to function properly.
From a functional medicine perspective, optimizing mitochondrial function is essential for overall health and wellness. When mitochondria are not functioning properly, it can lead to a wide range of health issues such as fatigue, muscle weakness, and brain fog. In fact, many chronic diseases, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease, have been linked to mitochondrial dysfunction.
One of the most significant things we found in Janine’s test results was that she had high levels of mycotoxins. These are toxins that form from mould and can cause various health issues, including chronic fatigue syndrome. To determine the source of the mycotoxins, we conducted a survey of her home and found several areas that needed to be treated and remedied to prevent further exposure.
Additionally, we discovered that Janine had tested positive for Lyme disease and various viruses, and her mitochondria were severely underfunctioning. We now know that the spike protein from the COVID vaccine can damage the mitochondria, which can lead to fatigue and other symptoms in patients.
Here’s a summary of what we discovered through the consultation and testing process:
- High levels of mycotoxins: Mycotoxins are toxins formed from mold, which can cause a variety of health problems, including fatigue, joint pain, and cognitive difficulties.
- Environmental toxins: Janine’s home was found to be contaminated with environmental toxins, which can contribute to chronic diseases.
- Lyme disease and viral infections: Janine tested positive for Lyme disease and several viruses, which can weaken the immune system and cause chronic fatigue.
- Impaired mitochondrial function: Janine’s mitochondria were severely underfunctioning, likely due to vaccine damage.
Agreed Functional Medicine Treatment Plan for CFS
Based on Janine’s test results and symptoms, we designed a personalized treatment plan that focused on improving her mitochondria’s function through a process called autophagy.
What is Autophagy?
Autophagy is a natural process that happens within our cells to clean up and recycle old or damaged parts of the cell. It’s like a filtration system for our bodies, and allows our cells to regenerate and function better. Autophagy is important for maintaining the health and function of our cells, including our mitochondria.
We used a nutrient called spermidine, which has been shown to improve autophagy, alongside encouraging a paleo diet, and providing IV cocktails from the clinic of spermidine and vitamin C. We also recommended herbal medicine to improve her immune system and various other nutrients such as curcumin, resveratrol, and NAC to improve her mitochondria’s function.
In addition, we treated Janine with ivermectin, which helped her recover remarkably within three months of initiating treatment. Her symptoms reduced by 80-90% during this period. We continue to monitor Janine’s progress and are confident that she will make a full recovery.
Here’s an overview of Janine’s treatment plan and some additional advice that we gave her:
- Autophagy: We used a process called autophagy to improve Janine’s mitochondrial function. This involved using a nutrient called spermidine, which has been shown to improve autophagy.
- Paleo diet: We recommended that Janine follow a paleo diet, which focuses on whole, nutrient-dense foods and eliminates processed foods, sugar, and grains.
- IV cocktails: Janine received IV cocktails from the clinic of spermidine and vitamin C, which helped to boost her immune system and improve her energy levels.
- Herbal medicine: We prescribed herbal medicine to improve Janine’s immune system and help her body fight off infections.
- Nutritional supplements: Janine also received various nutritional supplements, such as curcumin, resveratrol, and NAC, which helped to improve her mitochondrial function and reduce inflammation.
- Ivermectin: Janine was treated with ivermectin, which has been shown to have antiviral and anti-inflammatory effects, and may help reduce the severity of COVID-19 symptoms.
Other helpful things for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
There are also some other things that commonly support the recovery from conditions like Chronic Fatigue. These are common recommendations from Nutritionists and Functional Medicine Doctors:
- Sleep hygiene: Practice good sleep hygiene, such as avoiding screens before bed, keeping a consistent sleep schedule, and creating a calming bedtime routine, as sleep is crucial for overall health and mitochondrial function.
- Exercise: Incorporate regular exercise into her routine, as exercise has been shown to improve mitochondrial function and overall health.
- Stress management: Develop stress-management techniques, such as mindfulness meditation and deep breathing exercises, as chronic stress can negatively impact mitochondrial function and overall health.
Can Functional Medicine Help Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Results and Recovery
Janine is now close to making a full recovery and continues her treatment at the clinic. She has seen significant improvements in her fatigue levels, nerve pain, joint pain, and cognitive function. Her anxiety and restlessness have also significantly reduced.
Functional medicine has helped Janine recover from chronic fatigue syndrome by identifying and addressing the root cause of her symptoms. The focus on improving her overall health and wellbeing has led to significant improvements in her quality of life. If you’re struggling with a chronic illness, functional medicine may be able to help you too.
Get in Touch with the London Clinic of Nutrition
If you’re interested in exploring how functional medicine can help you with your chronic fatigue syndrome or other health concerns, we encourage you to get in touch with the London Clinic of Nutrition. We offer a free discovery call, during which we can discuss your health goals and determine if functional medicine is right for you.
In conclusion, chronic fatigue syndrome can be a debilitating condition that affects many people. However, functional medicine offers a holistic approach to uncovering the root causes of chronic fatigue syndrome and treating the underlying imbalances. With the help of a functional medicine practitioner, you can identify the underlying causes of your symptoms and take steps towards achieving optimal health and wellbeing.